/>

Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2007

"Involuntary Servitude"


I am a man who works on a chain gang
When the sun comes 'til it goes down
Water is craved most of all
By the time it gets to my lips
It is already hot
I am a man,I am a man
But they treat me like livestock
The ball and chain are my captors
Hard work and sweat keep me
So do the songs that are sung
It takes me to a place
Where my captors cannot enter
Their stale voices task me
More than the labor at hand
Looking out into cotton fields
I see the slaves of yore
Through my eyes
This will not be taken away
It must stay with me
Cruelty upon their backs
Dust in their eyes
Bleeding fingers from the cotton sharp
Filled bags taken to the gin
Long after I am set free
They will be remembered
The ball and chain never stops swinging
Getting lost in the inmates singing
I am a man
It will stay with me
Remaining in the vision within my eye

~Moses~
© 2007 Moses Lestz - All Rights Reserved

No comments: