/>

Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"Witness to History"


I am an island out in the fog
Surrounded by the forces of water
Woodsmen came to the forest once
Their minds commited to slaughter
Great oaks fell as did many pines
Some I had known a century or more
Foliage was trampled-frogs made their escape
In the peace I have come to adore
I was not part of the mass destruction
That once took place on the lands
That deafening sound of fallen trees
Caused by unrelenting hands
The dead silence that followed was
An unbearable noise in the silent
Dust filled the air without n'er a prayer
No tear was shed in the act so violent
The roots remain of the skeleton trees
Who still speak in low voices at times
They no longer cry or ask why
Or even question the crimes
Of the so many there are so few
Who can hear the trees when they cry
I am the island out in the fog
Who will silently testify

~Moses~
© 2006 Moses Lestz - All Rights Reserved

No comments: