/>

Pages

Sunday, July 8, 2007

"Renegade Rats"



Checkerboard tiles
By a tattered brick wall
Out by the old steel door
Smoking Camel cigarettes
I stole from my mothers drawer
The very walls are about to cave in
The floor and ceiling are about to drop
Too scared to look around
In hopes that it all will stop
Down on my knees when no one is looking
I make my hurried plea
Not knowing who I should direct it to
In an unfamiliar idiosyncrasy
Its not a serious consideration
But what have I got to lose
Jump off the rooftop onto the street
After paying my dues
I want to smoke another cigarette
While I stare at the pyramid on the pack
The one humped Camel refusing to look
I sit in silence to remember the slack
The street is unforgiving
In the alleyways are survivor rats
I will slither along with them
Avoiding the stalking cats
To live and breathe another day
In my struggle to barely thrive
Bread awaits fresh for the stealing
The bread that allows me to survive

~Moses~
© 2006 Moses Lestz - All Rights Reserved

No comments: